Review: Invincible summer

by - dubna 05, 2012

Invincible Summer 
Author: Hannah Moskowitz
Genre: contemporary
Annotation: Noah’s happier than I’ve seen him in months. So I’d be an awful brother to get in the way of that. It’s not like I have some relationship with Melinda. It was just a kiss. Am I going to ruin Noah’s happiness because of a kiss? 

Across four sun-kissed, drama-drenched summers at his family’s beach house, Chase is falling in love, falling in lust, and trying to keep his life from falling apart. But some girls are addictive....

Publisher: Simon Pulse
Published: April 19, 2011
Rating: 3.67 (goodreads)

Opinion:
(without spoilers!)
Img1484491324_large
With this book I’ve been confused, useless at existing normally just because I’ve thought about this book all the time. I’ve just couldn’t sort my feelings about this story since I’ve finished it. It’s… strange, special, irreplaceable… There is something which makes you read and read till you finish it. And even though it was from time to time a bit boring, uninteresting and lengthy, I’ve really enjoyed it.

When I opened it for the first time I was really surprised that it’s from boy’s perspective. I really didn’t expect it even though I’ve read the annotation (really nothing-telling annotation). My second surprise was when I released that it’s written really well. I’ve started to love the way Hannah writes. Although she’s 20 years old, she knows many things about families, relationships and also about love…

I’ve couldn’t find out what is so interesting about that family drama. Maybe it’s because of I’m only child and I can’t understand that siblings’ things or because of some other things. However, I’ve liked it. It’s story about everything and nothing in the same time and that’s what makes the story so interesting. In this book you’re watching the story of nearly normal family. Mom, dad and five children, four summers, whole live known neighbors and one growing up boy – Chase McGill. 

Tumblr_m1ur4g9o7s1qm6onko1_500_largeChase McGill is the main protagonist. He’s unselfish, dedicated and he’s able to do everything for his family. At first look he’s kind of an ideal man, but on the other side he’s such a girl. And that’s the problem. In spite of great story, I couldn’t get over Chase’s acting. It’s all written by woman and Chase is also woman – he thinks like woman, he acts like woman. There was just one thing making him boy - and that’s not really much.

When I look back, I find out there wasn’t any character which I’ve really loved. There’s Noah, Chase’s older brother, who runs away. Claudia, younger sister, who looks like she knows everything and can do everything. And there is also Gideon, their deaf and beautiful brother. And at least Lucy, the Newbaby. And also there is the Hathaway’s family – with incredibly attractive Melinda and twins Bella and Shannon. There are many characters, but do you know, what’s the problem? There are four summers. And every summer is about some foreign people. Nature of characters is changing, that’s great in every book, but there is the difference really striking.

22__albert_camus_by_sfegraphics-d4t8u6w_large
There are two more things through which I can’t get over. First thing is that there are two boys (brothers) sleeping with same girl. Hey, come on! Is it possible? In real life they’ll kill each other when they’ll find it out and they’ll not speak about it because it’ll be really embarrassing. Second thing is that they're quoting Albrecht Camus - not just few sentences, but whole paraghraphs! 

But in the end, it was really good book. Altough it took me really long time to read it, I really enjoyed it. That was the best book I could choose for winter reading - I could image everything (characters and  beach and sun and ocean) and imagined that I'm somewhere where the weather is really better.

You May Also Like

0 komentářů